Friends of the Anacortes Public Library 1220 10th Street Anacortes, WA 98221
Minutes, March 17, 2020 Board Meeting via group conference call
Present: Linda Falken, Hal Rooks, Susan Rooks, Patrick Gallagher, Tress Connolly, Megan Taylor, Barbara King (Acting FriendShop Manager), Gary Molyneaux (consultant)
Call to order 3:05pm
No requests were made for a change of agenda, so meeting followed the agenda sent earlier on email.
The February FOL Board meeting minutes (by Megan) were approved. Susan moved; Tress seconded.
There were no questions for Hal regarding March Treasurer’s Report (sent on email prior to the meeting). (Report and spreadsheets to be found in approved “Minutes” binder in FriendShop following March minutes.)
Linda turned discussion to Patrick’s item (introduced earlier on email) – “Budget Consideration 1 / Summary – The Friends of the Anacortes Public Library (Friends) has a full year’s income reserve, about $40,000. This can be used to make up FriendShop income lost due to the current FriendShop closure.” (Hard copy of complete email to be found in approved “Minutes” binder in FriendShop following March minutes.)
Discussion followed about:
- pros and cons of using current reserves to cover lost FriendShop sales revenue due to closure
- obligation (or not) to replace monies spent from budget reserves (approximately $100,000)
- current closure seems to qualify as “disaster” (reserves could be used as operational cushion)
- library staff are working during the closure
- some library programming and events will not occur during closure
- never hurts to be cautious when spending money
- many unknowns about what future holds; length of Library/FriendShop closure
- will need to re-balance and re-budget, take stock when closures are over
General agreement to leave use of reserve funds under the guidance of the Finance Committee for this month with reporting at next month’s Board Meeting.
Kay (as FOL newsletter editor) and Linda discussed the Spring issue of the newsletter and think it may be delayed. Library staff provide production help, and may not be available now.
Linda would like the Marketing Committee to work on a plan for community outreach/promotion whenever the FriendShop reopens. Linda asks that an email be sent to all of the Friends to let them know the FriendShop and Library are closed. This information has been sent to FriendShop volunteers and is also on the website. Susan will draft email language and sent it to Patrick, Linda and Barbara for their coordinated input before email goes out..
Bookstore Business Committee
Skipping this item as the last meeting notes have not been completed yet.
Hal volunteered to check with Library staff to see if there is a way for FOL mail to be picked up during the Library closure.
The Library is not accepting materials donations during the closure. Barbara offered to check with Library staff re: Linda’s question – what will be disposition of materials donations that could be dumped off on Library grounds during closure?
Fund Raising Alternative (Gary Molyneaux, consultant; Linda)
Gary thanked the Finance Committee for listening to this proposal at their meeting. Steps have been taken with the Library administration on the process of funding a Young Adult (YA/Teen) “team”/group activity room. $75,000 has been promised by the City for physical construction of the area. The Library is developing a grant proposal for submission to the Shell Oil Community Foundation (SOCF). This grant includes funding for production items to equip the room (Ex. 3-D printer, scanner, sewing machine, other fixtures appropriate for library teen/makerspace use). Teens feel welcomed in a dedicated third place at the library that is their own, not school or home. Gary sees this proposal as totaling about $36,000 for all of the equipment.
Gary has worked with the Library in crafting this proposal and has approached the SOCF. They (SOCF) grant funds to community-based organizations with 501(c)(3) status. The Library therefore, is not eligible to apply. The APL Foundation funds capital projects. The FOL is being asked to serve as the grant applicant and to oversee and fulfill reporting requirements associated with the grant (if received) during the grant cycle. The FOL would also be asked by SOCF to offer financial support to the grant project.
The Board was favorably disposed toward the proposal. It would give the Friends an opportunity to administer a grant in support of a specific group of Library patrons. Gary will provide the FOL Board with a final copy of the grant application so that the Board knows what is being requested.
Patrick moved that the FOL Board indicate to Library administration that at this point in the process the Board is interested. Also, that the Board will decide whether to proceed as the grant applicant after review the final grant draft. Hal seconded. This motion was approved.
April is an Executive FOL Board Meeting. Action items may arise even during closure of the FriendShop and the Library. Susan will be sending ideas out of the Marketing Committee meeting around, Barbara and Linda spoke of cleaning and possible sanitation needs in the FriendShop. The Board agreed to meet in April via video or phone conference, date TBD.
Move to adjourn - Linda; seconded by Susan – 3:54 pm
Respectfully submitted, Megan G. Taylor, Secretary